Weave together the support community that will support you to thrive.
Pre and Postnatal Resources:
- Ellie Griffinger, CNM –Ellie is a private practice certified nurse midwife at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Berkeley, CA, providing prenatal care that focuses on the health of the mother and fetus as well as the transition into parenting. Birth hopes and desires as well as education on birth are discussed in half hour prenatal visits. At the hospital, focused care and individual attention continues with the goal of providing a safe and satisfying birth for mother, baby and partner. Such care continues into the postpartum period with visits at 2 weeks and 6 weeks. For more information, please visit her website.
- Loving Arms: A childbirth education and lactation support center in Albany. The lactation support through Loving Arms includes a weekly breastfeeding support group.
- Birthways: A childbirth education resource organization in North Berkeley.
- Postpartum Support International: essential info about perinatal mood & anxiety disorders, including risk factors, symptoms & treatments. Click here for phone numbers of the California State Co-Coordinators who can give you warmline assistance for postpartum support and resources.
Body Positive Resources:
- Health at Every Size: A community based on the simple premise that the best way to improve health is to honor your body. It supports people in adopting health habits for the sake of health and well-being (rather than weight control).
- Association for Size Diversity and Health: is an international professional organization composed of members committed to the Health At Every Size® (HAES ®) Principles. Our mission is to promote education, research, and the provision of services which enhance health and well-being, and which are free from weight-based assumptions and weight discrimination. Health is measured by many factors, including the right to be peaceful in one’s body.
Women and Family Friendly Businesses:
Roots & Shoots Photography: Cheri Hudnut and Nikki Levine launched Roots & Shoots Photography in 2009 with the vision of changing the landscape in school portraiture. They currently focus on children, women and family portraiture. By working outdoors and using natural light, they take high quality, professional portraits that capture each person’s authentic spirit. In the spring of 2015, they will launch an extension of their growth in the business world, focusing on portrait photography of professional women in business.
Low Cost and Sliding Scale Therapeutic Agencies in The East Bay:
- The Women’s Therapy Center in Berkeley: Serving Women and Couples
- Family Paths: Seeing individuals, couples and families in Oakland and Hayward.
- Blue Oak Therapy Center, Berkeley: Low fee services for individuals, couples and families.
- The Women’s Cancer Resource Center: Providing wrap around services for women with cancer in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties.
- Cancer Support Community of Walnut Creek: Helpline for resources and support and an informational website with education and group offerings throughout the Bay Area.
- Bay Area Young Survivors: is a support and action group for young women in the SF Bay Area who are living with breast cancer.